Over 20 Years Experience Representing Drivers Facing Criminal Motor Vehicle Violations in Framingham, Marlborough and Across Massachusetts

Drivers often contact us with questions after they have been stopped by police. It is not always clear what it means when an officer hands you a ticket. If you are being charged with a criminal motor vehicle offense, you should contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer. Attorney Kevin Leeper has over 20 years of experience representing drivers charged with motor vehicle offenses in Massachusetts.

Some of the most serious offenses include: speeding, reckless driving, operating under the influence (OUI), motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene of an accident. Driving without insurance or a suspended driver’s license are also serious offenses. Consult an attorney immediately if you face any of these charges.

Warnings and All Civil Infractions
If you have been stopped by a police officer and received a written citation, closely examine it. If the officer checked “warning,” this means you have to watch your driving for next time, but you do not have to pay a fine or take action.

If the officer checked, “all civil infractions,” then you were cited for a civil motor vehicle infraction. You have two options. You may follow the instructions on the citation and pay your fine. Make sure to mail your payment in within 20 days as stated on the citation.

If you want to challenge the citation, you can request a civil hearing before a court magistrate. Follow the instructions written on the citation. A civil motor vehicle infraction can raise your automobile insurance costs so in some cases, you may want to challenge the citation, especially if you feel you did nothing wrong. You may want to consult with an attorney and your insurance agent before you make your decision. If you request a civil hearing, you will be notified of a date to appear at a District Court. If you were stopped in the Metrowest area, your hearing may take place at Framingham District Court, Southborough District Court, Westborough District Court or Natick District Court.

Criminal Motor Vehicle Violations
You should consult with a criminal defense attorney if the police officer marked “criminal complaint application” or “arrest” on your citation. In Framingham and communities across Massachusetts, these matters must be resolved before a judge or magistrate. In many cases, an attorney can request a show cause hearing before a magistrate to oppose the criminal complaint for you. Contact a traffic violation lawyer promptly if you have received a criminal complaint application. Your attorney has four days to respond to the court.

Related: More information may be available on this Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) website.

Contact Leeper & Associates
Attorney Leeper has represented clients charged in motor vehicle cases in Framingham and MetroWest towns for over 20 years. If you have been charged with a criminal motor vehicle violation, contact Leeper & Associates to learn your rights. We offer a free legal consultation and are here to help you. Contact us at (508) 270-3000 or use our contact form.